Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A classic case of Freud

Let's get down to brass tacks...F. Scott Fitzgerald clearly meant every mention of social class to represent sex and, more specifically, vaginas.    Amiright?!?!

Okay, maybe not.  I think I like your analysis a lot.  What's best about it is that since you posted first I didn't have to do the hard thinking.   I'm also really glad you mentioned the two uses of paradise.  I think I marked the one with Rosalind but forgot that since reading it.  I would guess that's one of the reasons for the title.  Because ultimately , Rosalind and Amory do drop from paradise when money becomes the reason for their failed relationship.

Fitzgerald wrote this before he ever married Zelda but he'd dabbled with the upper crust of society for a few years.  If he intended to write this book as autobiography and to predict the future, he only accomplished half the job.  After Roseland, almost nothing else follows his actual life.  I wonder these were predictions or just storytelling.

Even though I didn't like Amory when he was at Princeton, I did enjoy the story.  I thought most of the writing was well crafted and Amory was, despite his shallowness, quiet complex.  I really hope he makes/made something of himself and even if he retained a foothold in upper society, I hope he could do something worthwhile rather than just exist.

I think I struggled with reading the book in so many small segments.  Granted, we read it over a two or three week period, but I might have been able to stay with the story better if I'd have read it in half the time.  FOr our next book, I might try that instead.

Alright, this is all I have time for right now.  Willa has been sick and throwing up and I'm home with her trying to get her better and keep myself healthy . Thus, this is a terribly rushed and underdeveloped entry.  I'll try to to do better next time.

Look for an email about the next book.  I'll send it later tonight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment