Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Scrooge is, gives, a giant turkey

This is actually my second go at this post - I typed a whole beautiful post yesterday and then forgot to hit save or publish. But allow me to reclaim (most of) my thoughts.

I'd say the third ghost was my favorite of the three. I loved how all along Scrooge was hearing about this horrible guy and trying not to realize that he was that guy, and whenever he would ask the ghost about it, the ghost would stay eerily silent, or just lead him to the next instance of someone not exactly mourning Scrooge's death.

It's a bit hard for me to believe that Scrooge wouldn't have known was was up earlier in the chapter. I kept thinking Scrooge got it, only to hear him ask another question about who this horrible man might be. Then again, it does seem he knows what he's in for when he approaches the gravestone.

I find it interesting how the third ghost is the one that really sends Scrooge over the edge. Sure, he had a rough upbringing and remembering it might have caused Scrooge to reflect. And sure, other people are celebrating and being merry - even in the face of misfortune - and wishing Scrooge was there with them (but not really). But even though Scrooge acts like he's changed before the third ghost even shows up, I think Dickens is right to suggest that the first two ghosts aren't alone.

Instead, it's the singular horror of seeing his death pass with little general notice, or at least with no one really caring, that seems to send Scrooge into a new way of life. It's interesting to think of Scrooge's psychology. It's not as if Scrooge never knew his nephew wanted to spend time with him or that other people celebrate while he happily spends nights alone. That stuff never seemed to bother Scrooge. In fact, he seemed to be annoyed at the idea that it should bother him. But the notion that his death might be unimportant seems to be what sends Scrooge over the edge. 

The fact that people don't like him doesn't bother Scrooge, but the idea that he, with all his wealth, his ability to scare people on the streets and his ruthless treatment of his debtors, is actually not that important, that his death might just be a pleasant footnote soon forgotten, that's what seems to really irk him.

Anyway, that's my psychoanalysis, at least. What say you?

As for the very end: It's a really fun read to see Scrooge loony with joy. Once again, Dickens turns to food for symoblism. It's hard for me to get the image of a giant, fresh (not frozen) turkey being lugged around town and then dropped on the doorstep of Bob Cratchit. I guess the scrawny goose will end up going to waste! But it's a nice metaphor for Scrooge's new oversized joy and kindheartedness.

Which makes it an awfully good Christmas story, I'd say.

Alright. Tell me thoughts.

And what next? Should we break until after the new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment